[LRUG] Recursion diversion

Peter Vandenabeele peter at vandenabeele.com
Fri Oct 25 14:12:59 PDT 2013

I compared the 5 implementations for correctness and
(naively) for speed.

4 out of 5 where correct (variation in example 2 tolerated)

roland_spec.rb => correct
michael_spec.rb => not correct
peter_spec.rb => correct
tom_spec.rb => correct
dominic_spec.rb => correct

Time to run rspec for a haystack of ("hello world" * 100)
(of course the tests "failed", the results where quite
massive for the last test with three letters in the pattern).

roland_spec.rb => 9.14 s
michael_spec.rb => 0.0087 s (incorrect result)
peter_spec.rb => 5.91 s
tom_spec.rb => 20.05 s
dominic_spec.rb => DNF (with the 100 multiplier)

(dominic's version showed an interesting growth curve of
consumed time with the multipler for the haystack).

The long version of the tests:

  https://gist.github.com/petervandenabeele/7161464

Peter

PS. Yes, I know I should use Benchmark and warm-up, but hey,
it's weekend ...

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Dominic Baggott <dominic.baggott at gmail.com