[LRUG] Meeting August 8th and September 4th

A. S. Bradbury asbradbury at tekcentral.org
Sun Aug 13 11:43:37 PDT 2006

Hi, I'm currently working on a Google Summer of Code Project, Ariel[1]. I
believe Austin Ziegler (my mentor) talked about it a little at the last
meeting (unfortunately I couldn't be there). If there are any slots
available, I'd be happy to talk about my project and experiences. Give a
demo, whatever people are interested in.  Ariel - A Ruby Information
Extraction Library is a project that employs machine learning techniques to
extract information from semistructured pages (such as, but not limited to,
web pages). I could certainly talk about the ideas behind my system, compare
and contrast with alternative approaches (Regexp, RubyfulSoup and now
Hpricot). Maybe there's interest in a brief look at what tools and resources
I've found useful, being a relatively inexperienced ruby programming
embarking on what is for me a fairly substantial project.

Is there any interest in this, if so - what would you like to hear about? I'm
not familiar with the style of most presentations at LRUG meetings.

Regards, Alex

[1] http://ariel.rubyforge.org and http://code.google.com/p/ariel