[LRUG] Pizza on Rails and the big LonConf

Michael Studman mas at michaelstudman.com
Tue Aug 15 07:45:35 PDT 2006

I'm another one of the 10+ who got a 15% discount back in June and I
paid for this out of my own pocket. FYI: I'm an enterprise Java
consultant trying to introduce Ruby and Rails under the corporate radar.

ᅡᆪ500 is a lot to spend and only your own personal circumstances can
justify it or not, but I look at the outlay this way:

1) A 2 day Rails conference with RailsConf's calibre of presenter will
short-circuit countless 'off the corporate clock' late nights and
weekends of browsing and monkeying about just to find what's
interesting, effective, hot or not in the Rails / Ruby world.
2) As Dan pointed out it's a great opportunity to network - find a
future employer, colleague, startup co-founder or open source project
co-contributer. All of which will help immensely if you decide to make
the jump into the Ruby / Rails world. You might even make a friend or two.
3) You will definitely meet some really interesting people with
backgrounds and careers quite dissimilar to your own.

Hope this helps...

Michael.