[LRUG] Help with mish-mash rails install

Tom Medhurst tom at tmedhurst.me.uk
Fri Aug 18 01:36:24 PDT 2006

Hi Guys
I come to you in a moment of desperation...

...the caveat is I am a humble c# windows developer with little - no
experience with programming for mac, (read a book on objective c once
and ran away!) Although I thought that had changed when I turned to
ruby.. now I could write programs that ported onto any system.. even
better with rails, as I could develop web sites on my pc or one of my
macs, great!

I managed to work out how to install all the prereqs: mysql, ruby-
mysql-adapter, rails and all dependencies via rubygems and get it
working.. yay!

However when it comes to upgrading, when there is a new release of
rails for example; I am in a world of pain! AHHHH! My real underlying
problem is I have no clue how all these apps are tied together and I
am missing some fundamental knowledge of how OSX and even UNIX does
things because I am Bill Gate's bytch. :'-(

So I ran under bash:

sudo bash
gem update rails --include-dependencies

and it updated everything like a dream.. however when I attempted to
run any rails app, I got an error complaining that it could not login
as no password was being sent. (Access denied for user:
'root at 127.0.0.1' (Using password: NO))
So I thought fine; I must need to update the rails-mysql adapter as
it is no longer sending the connection string correctly; but this is
starting to sound like the UNIX equivalent of DLL hell!

So I upgraded to version 2.7 (ruby) using the bash command:

gem update mysql

Which failed instantly, I think something important is missing from
my PATH??
so I went to the mysql2.7 gem directory and ran:

ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
make
ruby test.rb localhost root andmypasswordhere
make install

unfortunately four of the unit tests failed and now web brick won't
even boot. I am sorry to clutter a happy newsgroup with stories of
terror, but I desperately need some guidence, firstly in fixing what
I currently have, and secondly with an upgrade plan to ensure I don't
get my self into this mess everytime I upgrade.

Many Thanks

Tom Medhurst