[LRUG] Meeting August 8th and September 4th

Wendy Devolder wendy.devolder at skillsmatter.com
Tue Aug 15 02:31:22 PDT 2006

Hi there,

I am not entirely sure for the below which bits n pieces what to include
on the LRUG registration page...

Could Alex / Rob send me the following?

    * Talk Title:
    * Full name speaker:
    * Synopsis of talk:
    * Short bio / background speaker (two or three lines - only if
      available)

wendy

A. S. Bradbury wrote:
> On Monday 14 August 2006 16:25, Robert McKinnon wrote:>
>
>> Alex, sounds like a great topic for an LRUG talk! Are you able to make
>> a Sept 4th meeting, 18:30-20:00? (Note: this may be moved to the
>> following week).
>>

> Yes, I should be able to make either that or the next week, and hopefully many
> more LRUG meetings in the future.
>

>>> I could certainly talk about the ideas behind my system,
>>> compare and contrast with alternative approaches (Regexp,
>>> RubyfulSoup and now Hpricot). Maybe there's interest in a
>>> brief look at what tools and resources I've found useful,
>>> being a relatively inexperienced ruby programming
>>> embarking on what is for me a fairly substantial project.
>>>
>>> Is there any interest in this, if so - what would you like to hear
>>> about? I'm not familiar with the style of most presentations at
>>> LRUG meetings.
>>>
>> We usually get around 30 people at a meeting - a mix of experienced to
>> newbies. We've been having two talks per meeting for the last few
>> months. You'll have a projector and the audience's attention for around
>> 30-40 minutes - they'll want to head to the pub after that! ;)
>>

> OK.
>

>> For a personal project I've been converting HTML to XML with TagSoup (a
>> Java tool), then using a series of custom REXML SAX parsers to
>> transform the data into a useful structure. The resulting structured
>> data is going into a database for a Rails app I'm building. I'd be
>> interested to see if Ariel would have saved me any time.
>>

> It's not the answer to all problems, but I think it could well have helped you
> out. I'm no zealot, it's just something else for the toolkit. Sometimes
> you'll want to take the time to right a parser by hand. It's under heavy
> development at the moment, but keep an eye out on ruby-talk for the next
> release which should be where it starts to become very useful. Of course,
> I'll be filling you in on the details on the 4th/whenever.
>
> Alex

*Wendy Devolder*
Business Development

*t* 0207 1072620
*f* 0207 1072621
*e* wendy.devolder at skillsmatter.com <mailto:wendy.devolder at skillsmatter.com>

**Free Summer Seminars!*
*Ajax Seminar - June 29th <http://www.skillsmatter.com/ajax-seminar>*
*Aspect Oriented Programming Seminar - July 7th
<http://www.skillsmatter.com/aop-seminar>*
*Groovy & Grails Seminar - July 13th
<http://www.skillsmatter.com/groovy-grails-seminar>*
*SOA with Axis2 & Web Services Seminar - July 20th
<http://www.skillsmatter.com/soa-axis-seminar>*

**RailsConf Europe 2006 - Sept 14 & 15*
* Meet over 25 web 2.0 experts from USA and Europe and learn why Ruby on
Rails has become developer's favourite language and framework. * Find
out more!* <http://europe.railsconf.org/> *

*Skills Matter Ltd*
<http://www.skillsmatter.com> 1 Sekforde Street
London, EC1R 0BE