[LRUG] Ruby web basd debugger (was: lrug.org)

Robert McGovern robert.mcgovern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 01:57:54 PST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eleanor <eleanor at goth-chic.org>
Date: Feb 22, 2006 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [LRUG] Ruby web basd debugger (was: lrug.org)
To: London Ruby Users Group <lrug at lists.spiritualexploration.net>

On 21 Feb 2006, at 08:47, benjohn at fysh.org wrote:
> Vaguely on that subject, it seemed to me that using web 2 ideas, it
> ought to be possible to build a web based debugger for Ruby.
>
> I was imagining being able to include a single module in to my Ruby
> program that would fire up a web brick, and let me connect to the
> running program, start looking at it's objects in a "nice" way, and
> interact with it (call methods, see their results, etc).
>
> Why use a web browser, rather than have it text based? I think you can
> present and interact with complex information more readily with the
> rich
> controls of a browser. Why not use a GUI toolkit? Because browsers are
> amazingly ubiquitous, and because you get remote debugging for free.
>
> Has anyone come across such a beast? Does anyone think it would be
> useful? Any thoughts on easy or hard? :) It doesn't _sound_ too hard.

Not exactly, but I often use custom servers written with WEBrick to
interact with and inspect my programs. At present nothing fancy as I
have to home-brew my servlets from scratch, but I can see that with a
really clean and easily used compositing library it would be possible
to do just this in a very Ruby-esque manner.

Ellie

Personal responsibility is battling extinction.