[LRUG] FW: [Upcoming.org]: keithb sent you a note!

James Adam james.adam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 12:01:20 PDT 2006

Edward,

What's your kernel written in? I can highly recommend the use of Ruby
as a high-level-logic/gui glue language, acting as an interface
between the number-crunching components in your software, and the more
flexible higher-level algorithms. It also opens up your application to
scriptability. You should take a look at SWIG for generating the
wrapper code - with a bit of time spent you can be controlling your
libraries within Ruby.

For my PhD work I used it to drive a C++ data cruncher searching a
problem space with more solutions than there are atoms in the
universe, and linking that to an OpenGL display which displayed the
results in the form of cute fuzzy digital bees
(http://lazyatom.com/media/images/digital-bees.jpg) . It worked really
well, and writing the high-level algorithms in Ruby sped up
development greatly. I can't stress that last point enough.

- james

On 7/17/06, Edward Garson <egarson at gmail.com> wrote:
> As an employee of Zuhlke in London I have to laugh at this a bit, this
> is my boss posting, and we are not *all* heavily "enterprise" based
> nor enamored with .NET/Java.
>
> If I could program in Ruby more - and be paid for it - then that would
> be great. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could fit Ruby into
> my current project, new steam turbine design software using a 3D
> geometry kernel, then I'd be delighted to hear your suggestions.
> Sometimes reality kicks in (and kicks you in the face at the same
> time).
>
> If anyone is interested in presenting then I suggest getting in touch
> with me as I can give you some guidelines and suggestions that you may
> find helpful.
>
> Have fun
>
> Edward
>
> On 17/07/06, Anthony Green <email at acgreen.co.uk> wrote: