[LRUG] Speed cameras...

Adrian P Challinor adrian.challinor at osiris.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 14:08:10 PDT 2006

>Why not just use Ferret (http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac/)?
>Not only do you get to stick with Ruby, but it's faster than the Java
version.

This raises some interesting issues. That Ferret is fatser than Lucene.

I came to Ruby/Rails because I was tired of the EJB bloat and the amount of
crud I needed just to get what I thought were simple java systems built. I
have had this feeling that Java started off quite fast, but the number of
layers it has to go through to get anything done was slowing current
production systems down.

I have found Ruby/Rails suprisingly efficient - all the more so for the fact
it is interpreted and doesn't go though a partial compile as Java compiles
to byte code.

Is this my personal opinion or have any of the others got an opinion here?
Has there been any real study done?

Adrian
(who REALLY will get to some of these meetings and take part!)