[LRUG] Topic for Next meeting

Adrian Rutter Adrian.Rutter at tnt.com
Wed May 17 04:24:29 PDT 2006

Hi Tom et al

> Also, there seemed to be quite a few people with limited Ruby
> experience, do some people want a bit of an intro or something?

I work at TNT near Birmingham. I am an automated tester and we have been
using Rational Robot and Rational Functional Tester. I looked at 'Watir '
(an open-source Web test tool that uses Ruby)
and I was drawn by it's effectiveness and simplicity, and the ease of use
and capabilities of Ruby.

I will be down next meeting, but you are right there are things you cannot
get from the books. I spent weeks trying out IDE's that are compatible with
Ruby, I am a bit lost on the debugging, also when do I use a class or
module or just a method on its own. I am having trouble instantiating my
own classes from the irb. How best to write Ruby code: I have found you
could write 10 lines or 3,4,5 which do the same thing.

It would be good to talk to someone who has used Ruby for a substantial
time and frequently.

Aidy