[LRUG] Topic for Next meeting

James Adam james.adam at gmail.com
Mon May 22 01:49:54 PDT 2006

I think for the real ruby-newbies it might be worth having some kind
of presentation which highlights what differentiates Ruby from other
languages, using fairly simple examples to get the point across.
Things like blocks in simple cases:

Doing something 10 times in Java:

  for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
    // do something
  }

... and Ruby:

  10.times {
    # do something
  }

(that also highlights that even what would be primitive types in Java
are true objects in Ruby). You could approach it from the
language-lawyer perspective, but I'm not sure if that might come
across as a bit dry...

Basically all the things that you discover about Ruby which make you
never want to code in C++ or Java ever again! :)

- james

On 5/22/06, Tiest Vilee <ruby at tiestvilee.fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> That sounds great Benj, I'm sure people would like to see what you've
> got.  BTW, have you had a look at Mongrel?
>
> I hope I didn't come across as being rude/forceful etc in my last email,
> I apologise if I did, you know how emails are.
>
> Would people be interested in looking at a whole unfinished/experimental
> DSL for finite state machines?  I could compare it to 'finite state
> machine generator'.
>
> Also, any comp sci heads out there want to talk about continuations?  I
> figure if they can have a talk about it at the RubyConf then we can have
> a talk about it here :)  Also Monads, Functional programming etc
>
> We could also have a general forum about various topics, I'd be
> interested in finding out about what 'real object oriented programming'
> is - Tell, don't Ask and all that
>
> Tiest
>
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 21:24:28 +0100, "Benjohn Barnes" <benjohn at fysh.org>
> said:
> > Okay :) After an unveiled hint... I'd be very happy to do a talk
> > through of something neat about Ruby. It's a talk I was going to give
> > at work. I'd give you a really noddy demo of Ruby's socket handling.
> > I'm not Ruby guru, and I'm no socket Guru, but I reckon that I could
> > do a nice demo. It'd probably be ideal if we could have a small
> > number of laptops on a WiFi network, and I think we could probably
> > build a very simple collaborative talker server. Anyone interested?
> >
> > If it's only going to be two people, I'll just pull out my laptop
> > some time and show you how easy it is. If it's going to be a few
> > more, I'll try to plan something a bit more involved, and it'd be
> > great if someone else could write it up somewhere; perhaps bosh it on
> > Ruby garden. Sound reasonable? :) Dreadful idea? Totally the wrong
> > level to pitch at?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >       Benj

> And on the pedestal these words appear:
> "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
> Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
> Nothing beside remains: round the decay
> Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
> The lone and level sands stretch far away.
>  -- Shelley

* J *
  ~