[LRUG] Topic for Next meeting

Eleanor eleanor at goth-chic.org
Wed May 24 13:45:59 PDT 2006

On 22 May 2006, at 14:21, Matt Jones wrote:
> This is the kind of thing I'd like to discuss.  One of
> the things that makes Ruby interesting is that it has
> an incredibly slick object model but also powerful
> functional programming abilities.  How do these two
> sides interact?  I'd be interested in looking at to
> what degree functional programming changes what we
> really need from OO.

When I started my current project back in January I wrote a brief
coding standard in which I forbade any functional coding because of
the abuses it leads to in some languages but I find with Ruby that
it's very difficult not to adopt a pseudo-functional style. One
lovely hack I recently developed relies on the fact that exception
handling is expression-based, allowing exceptions to be used in
various cunning ways...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Systems Developer