[LRUG] Topic for Next meeting

Tom Armitage tom at infovore.org
Wed May 17 03:08:28 PDT 2006

I think something on idiomatic Ruby would be very useful.

Most people interested in Ruby are, by and large, agreed that it's a
lovely language to work with. Developing what I'd call a "native
accent", though - writing Ruby like Ruby, rather than, say, writing
Ruby like Perl - is harder. Both types of code work, but one is more
fluent. A lot of the time in sample code you'll see idioms that
may/may not make sense, and it's often unclear as to why that
particular method's chosen. And, of course, there are the features
Ruby that many people may be less familiar with - the way it
approaches iterators, and quite what you can do with them.

I also think that it's a topic most people will be able to chip in on,
one way or another; it's very broad - you could discuss both idiomatic
constructions at the line-level, and idiomatic program structure -
and, as ever, most people always have room for improvement on this.
Simple shell scripts are an example - I was quite pleased when I
started solving one problem by extending a built-in class, rather than
writing a string of linear code, for example.

I think it could be very interesting; I certainly think there's enough
to discuss.

t.