[LRUG] FYI: Ruby for Symbian OS Released

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 09:56:25 PST 2006

But the Ruby they've released is only for 2 of the 3 or 4 Symbian OS's out
there (UIQ and S60), which only covers <random_guess>1/2</random_guess> the
available Symbian phones (and that can't be a particularly large percentage
of all phones out there in the wild).  Given that, surely any Boss-Man is
going to say: "Yeah we could do it once in Ruby for those special Symbian
phones that support it and then again in J2ME for everyone else, or just do
it once using J2ME and save the time on the ruby version of the client for
making our server side part of the equation the market-beater."

I realise I'm being a complete nay-sayer here, but I suppose I don't see how
this project is particularly useful beyond the realm of the home-brew
scripts that Matthew mentioned, unless you were in some corporate realm
where you controlled the client (likely in the web-development arena, surely
not in the mobile-development arena).  I still think it's a 'Ooh! Neat!'
thing and if I had one of the supported handsets I would probably poke about
at it.

I guess I'm just a cheerful pessimist.

Muz