[LRUG] Ruby Books

Geoffrey Grosenbach glyph at mac.com
Fri Nov 24 11:21:50 PST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 11:26 PM, Anthony Green wrote:

> If only.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product//0596527314/
> ref=cm_aya_asin.title/026-648
> 7718-1394811
>
> Anthony Green

I also read an advance copy of the Rails Cookbook and thought it was
much better than the other cookbooks out there. Yes, the examples
were much more fine-grained, as you mentioned in your review, but all
O'Reilly Cookbooks start that way for the first few examples. I
showed a newbie the recipe on testing cookies and he was off to the
races in no time.

There are many practical examples that cover a wide range of topics
(including a bunch on testing). They actually put the time in to make
it up-to-date (covering upcoming features of Rails that will be in
1.2) and involved the community (not just a few members from the core
team).

Anyway, that's my 2p.

Geoffrey Grosenbach