[LRUG] FYI: Ruby for Symbian OS Released

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 04:58:14 PST 2006

I remember there being a big song-and-dance-routine in the Python community
a few years ago when Nokia* did the same for Python.  And yet for all the
hoo-ha, I can't think of anything good / useful / big coming out of it for
the Python community.  For example games for phones seem to be actively
advertised as Java games nowadays, as if that some-how makes them better.
It might be silly but it does point at a certain ubiquity of J2ME in that
area in that you don't see the word Python in those full-page ringtone /
games / wallpapers ads (unless it's for a wallpaper of a python for the
niche ophiophilist market).

Maybe the effect was felt in the Python community in ways I couldn't detect
(by virtue of not being part of it anymore), so if anyone who knows more
than me about this (e.g. anything at all) can re-educate me otherwise, by
all means feel free.

Muz

*or was it Symbian? I think it was just for Nokia phones, but maybe back
then only Nokia phones ran the Symbian OS