[LRUG] Mongrel

daniel cremer daniel at danielcremer.com
Thu Nov 23 02:53:22 PST 2006

On 11/23/06, soledad penadés | sole <listas at soledadpenades.com> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I am curious. Just discovered what mongrel is some days ago (no kidding,
> and I haven't been in a bubble these last months), and I wondered what do
> you use for deploying apps in production servers.
>
> In my hosting they used to recommend an hybrid lighttpd + apache solution
> (apache proxying requests to lighttpd running my rails app in a different
> port, with a subdomain), but seems that now the latest trend is mongrel.
>
> The docs say rails does not perform very well concurrently and thus is
> better to have a "cluster of mongrels". Any experience on this?
>
> The amount of memory that it can use it's kind of scaring me, even if it's
> a very simple application that I'm thinking of, as it's a shared hosting and
> they have a "samurai process" which kills resource-consuming processes.
>
> (I was thinking of creating one of those dynamic dns's and host it in my
> home server, but somehow I'm not fully convinced)
>
> Anyone  feels like sharing experiences in deploying rails apps?
>

> Hi,

I'm using Apache 2.2 proxying to mongrel too. It works well and is easy to
setup compared to other solutions.
However to be honest you don't really need a cluster of mongrels while your
app is taking it's first steps. If you're not getting a heavy load of
traffic (which I would guess is the case if you're contemplating running it
on a home server) just run a single instance of mongrel.

Daniel