[LRUG] On learning Ruby/Rails

Michael Studman me at michaelstudman.com
Thu Oct 19 06:24:46 PDT 2006

> Does anyone have suggestions on little projects to try, to slowly
> increase my familiarity with Ruby & RoR? Something I bit more involved
> than creating a blog, and less involved than some crazy API mashup :-)
>
> Also, does anyone have any tips regarding "unlearning" all the awful
> PHP I'm familiar with, especially it's awful OOP mode, which I never
> really got to grips withl, so I can start afresh with RoR instead?

Although it won't help you with Rails, I think attempting RubyQuiz
challenges is invaluable in deepening your understanding of Ruby and
gaining confidence in the language. Some of the challenges are mini
projects in themselves but luckily when you get tired of them or you're
at a dead end you can examining how others did it and learn from the
experts.

Standard quiz caveat applies: solutions don't always represent best
practices or the Ruby way (but often they do).

http://www.rubyquiz.com