[LRUG] Summary of September Meeting

Robert McKinnon rob_m_mckinnon at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 04:11:23 PDT 2006

---
September LRUG Meeting Summary

Last night Alex Bradbury gave a great presentation on ARIEL, A Ruby
Information Extraction Library. All agreed that Alex is doing very
impressive work. Some LRUGers are already planning to try out ARIEL for
data parsing in various projects. Thanks for coming to speak Alex!
http://ariel.rubyforge.org/

We've added a new announcement segment to the meeting. It's a chance
for everyone to share releases, news and events with the group. Here's
a summary of last night's announcements and pub chat:

---
Recent Releases by the London crew

- UJS Rails Plugin 0.3.1
by Luke Redpath and Dan Webb
Unobtrusive Javascript for Ruby On Rails makes it easy to apply
javascript behaviour to your page unobtrusively.
http://www.ujs4rails.com/

- Rails Engines updated for Rails 1.1.6
by James Adam
Engines are enhanced plugins - use them to share code amongst your own
applications.
http://railsengines.org/

- Mocha 0.3 released with Rails plugin
by James Mead
A library for mocking and stubbing within a TestCase.
http://blog.floehopper.org/articles/2006/08/24/mocha-0-3-released-with-rails-plugin
http://mocha.rubyforge.org/

---
Events of Interest

Join upcoming.org to keep up with the latest events:
http://upcoming.org/group/1589/

- London 2.0 RC 7, **Tonight** Sep 5
Selenium author Jason Huggins speaking
http://upcoming.org/event/95916/

- Pizza on Rails, Wed Sep 13
http://upcoming.org/event/77211/

- RailsConf Europe, Thu-Fri Sep 14-15
http://upcoming.org/event/78942/

- Pub Standards X Evening, Thu Sep 14
http://upcoming.org/event/102700/

- London Microformats vEvent, Sat Sep 30
http://upcoming.org/event/100107/

- Euruko 2006, Sat-Sun Nov 4-5
The European Ruby Conference, held in Munich
http://upcoming.org/event/104370/

---
News

- Structured releasing of Rails Plugins
James Adam and Luke Redpath have a project under way to standardize the
Rails plugin release process. The Rails core team have recently given
the project their approval.

- mySociety on Rails
Louise Crow introduced Ruby on Rails to the mySociety team in February.
She created a voting application to help the mySociety volunteers
democratically choose a day for meetings:
http://www.mysociety.org/2006/02/?cat=2

- New contact person at SkillsMatter
Joanna Go is our new contact person at SkillsMatter. Thanks once again
to SkillsMatter for providing a venue for our meetings. :)
http://skillsmatter.com/

---
October LRUG Meeting

Speaker details and date are being confirmed.
More details soon.

cheers,
Rob