[LRUG] It begins!

James Adam james.adam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 04:20:54 PDT 2007

I think it's worth bearing in mind that we don't have to squeeze all
of this, along with other discussions and talks, into the single LRUG
meeting that we currently hold. There's no reason why we can't
coordinate some other gatherings, perhaps mid-month, where there's
less time pressure and the environment is more amenable to coding and
learning.

Also, since learning in a group can sometimes be tricky (sometimes you
don't learn as fast as you're capable), I would've be averse to
putting together some informal kind of "mentoring"; I'd certainly be
happy to have a look at someone's project - either in person or
corresponding via IM/email - to give them a few nudges in the right
direction. We can provide SVN at LRUG.org to facilitate collaboration
in this respect, too.

Thoughts?

On 4/18/07, Suw Charman <suw.charman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like this idea too, but I fear I am too much of a novice, even for
> this! But perhaps if we can settle on some prior reading - achievable
> by next month - and then maybe those of us who feel too unsure can
> just do the basics, and those who have apps where they are stuck can
> get help. I mean, with learning it's always horses for courses - what
> works as a learning method for some people doesn't work for others. We
> just have to ensure we have enough people willing to teach!
>

> On 4/18/07, Peter Jones <peterbjones at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > An alternative would be for the Rails beginners to
> > start building their applications using some of the
> > getting started books, and get as far as they can
> > before they get stuck. Then if we bring in our
> > applications and go through them in a small beginners
> > group with an experienced rails person, we could
> > explain to each other what we have been building
> > (which may be educational in its own right) and then
> > the the expert could explain how to handle the problem
> > encountered.
> >
> > The big problem I have been facing is that as a
> > relative beginner, working on my own, it is very
> > difficult to make progress once I get stuck. I would
> > jump at the chance to explain to a group of beginners
> > what I have been doing and then have an experienced
> > person comment on it so that I and other beginners can
> > learn from their experience.

> --
>
> AIM: nefibach
> IRC: #suwcharman on freenode