[LRUG] apache 2.0 + mongrel

Graeme Mathieson mathie at rubaidh.com
Fri Apr 27 03:14:22 PDT 2007

On 26 Apr 2007, at 11:40, Ed Davey wrote:
> If you're not already using it you might want to look into Monit for
> monitoring and restarting services where necessary.

Your timing is impeccable.  I've been having an issue with mongrel
processes inexplicably dying recently and, while I want to get to the
root of the problem, this is a great interim fix.  Now I just get an
email saying that the process has disappeared and my faithful
employee has kindly restarted it.  Thanks!

As to why the mongrels are dying, well, it's a mixture of crashes:

vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1066: [BUG]
Bus Error
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/../../activesupport/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:316: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/
mysql_adapter.rb:243: [BUG] gc_sweep(): unknown data type 0x10
(0x2b02db7f0040)
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/routing.rb:865: [BUG]
rb_gc_mark(): unknown data type 0x29(0x2aaaac048310) corrupted object
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/../../activesupport/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:316: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

so that's going to be ... fun. :-/

Cheers,

Graeme
--
Graeme Mathieson

Rubaidh Ltd: Scottish for Ruby on Rails <http://www.rubaidh.com/>

Personal blog: <http://woss.name/>

Rubaidh Ltd is a company registered in Scotland with registration
number SC297029.  The registered address is:

12d Monktonhall Terrace
Musselburgh
East Lothian.  EH21 6ER
United Kingdom