[LRUG] It begins!

Ed Davey Ed at veryreal.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 00:24:59 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I have the following suggestions for newbie Rails workshop topics. They are
topics which I'm currently grappling with part-way through my first proper
Rails job:

1) dealing with money
---------------------
Should we be storing money as pennies? If so, should we be using something
like model_formatter from Brad Folkens or acts_as_money from opensoul with
the money gem? If so, how, exactly?

2) pagination
-------------
Having followed Chad's dictat and put all our finds in our models, how do we
paginate pages of results? Using will_paginate from err the blog,
paginating_find from cardboard rocket with Ilya Grigorik's helper or
ArPaginator from evang.eli.st? Can we walk through an example?

3) mocha
--------
Really easy intro to mocha for people like me who aren't coming from Java
and don't know about "mocking" and "stubbing" but who have read about how it
can really speed up your test suite and much more...

Really pleased to be using Rails and learning Ruby. See you at the next
meeting.

Thanks

ED