[LRUG] It begins!

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 04:13:52 PDT 2007

It doesn't seem to me that we've quite reached a consensus on what people
actually want from a beginners session.

The options so far have been:

1. Small groups of beginners (new to programming, new to ruby etc...) going
over some kind of formal tutorials
2. Small groups of beginners having informal Q&A type sessions
3. People bringing code / ideas to the meeting and getting feedback on these
4. Using the meeting to arrange pairing up beginners with mentors for
sessions not part of the LRUG meetings.

I think that's all the suggestions so far, but I could be wrong.  Given that
most of these would require some work on the part of the mentors/group
leaders (e.g. preparing a tutorial) or the beginners (e.g. background
reading, preparing some code to bring) we should probably firm up which of
these options we actually want to do.  We can easily do more than one as
they're not all that different; my separation of them was a tad arbitrary.

We'll want to think about how best to run the meeting too.  Will the
beginner groups need tables, a flip chart, projector etc...?  Perhaps a
separate room, as there may be another talk or discussion going on that
would distract from the knowledge sharing.  Note, I've no idea if Skills
Matter can accommodate this, I'm just thinking out loud

Cheers,

Muz