[LRUG] Rails Hosting

Tim Harding tim.harding at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 00:05:19 PDT 2007

Hi all,

last Friday my little application (http://smarterfitter.com/chain) got
LifeHacked[1] and we had 19000 page views and 2700 chains created over the
weekend. I thought the PPC Mac Mini it is running on here in my apartment
would melt down but it didn't and nor did my DSL line... but it was serving
at capacity (1.3mbit up).

This all got me thinking about hosting and production environments in
general and what the state of the art is.

Where do you guys host your apps? How much does it cost?

I'm still running a bit of a dark ages production environment, Apache 1.3,
fastcgi, Rails 1.2.3 and MySQL.

What's the state of the art at the moment and can you recommend any good
resources on running a modern production install?

1:
http://lifehacker.com/software/productivity/web+based-seinfeldian-chain-288323.php

Thanks heaps,

-Tim Harding