[LRUG] Rails Hosting

Chris Lowis chris at chrislowis.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 00:36:13 PDT 2007

> What's the state of the art at the moment and can you recommend any good
> resources on running a modern production install?

If you decide to set-up your own server using a VPS or dedicated box,
I think one of the most widely deployed stacks is Apache + a Mongrel
Cluster as described here :

http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/time-for-a-grown-up-server-rails-mongrel-apache-capistrano-and-you/

There's a gem called Deprec [1] which will automate the whole process
for you. Also, if you don't already, consider using Capistrano [2].
It's a set of rake tasks which automate the deployment of your app to
the server. Very handy if you make a mistake, as it supports a quick
"roll-back" function to return to a previous version of your app.

Out of interest, which DSL provider are you with ? Do they all give a
maximum 1.3mbit upload rate ?

Hope this helps,

Chris

[1] http://www.deprec.org/