[LRUG] graphics with ruby?

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Sun Dec 30 07:39:43 PST 2007

On 30 Dec 2007, at 13:31, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:
> 1) Integrating Rails with adobe flash.

It's straightforward to embed SWFs in Rails views.  See these articles:

http://blog.eleventyten.com/2007/6/8/embedding-swf-content-with-ror
http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

You can also get your Flash to talk to Rails controllers, I believe,
but I've never tried it.  Here's an 18 month old article on it:

http://blog.vixiom.com/2006/08/23/flash-remoting-for-rails-tutorial/

> 3) 3D graphics with ruby

There have been various threads about graphics on the Ruby Talk
mailing list.  Some may have been about 3D graphics.  Even if there
aren't any native Ruby libraries to do this, Ruby is pretty good at
driving libraries in other languages.

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

> I know that unless I can do some cool graphics stuff on my mac (or
> poss my vista partition), and can get it setup easy I am not going to
> really get into Ruby, so advise welcome.

Here's an article on using Core Image via Ruby Cocoa to resize images
uploaded to a Rails app:

http://redartisan.com/2007/12/12/attachment-fu-with-core-image

Good luck!

Regards,