[LRUG] Book Reviews - Gentle Reminder

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 01:52:06 PST 2007

Hi all,

This is a (very) gentle reminder about book reviews that I completely forgot
to mention on Monday evening (that'll teach me to be unprepared).

We're on the O'Reilly and Addison-Wesley user group programs, which means
that if we review books they will send us free copies of other books for
review purposes.  I think there's something of a chicken-egg scenario here;
we have to review books first to show willing before they will send us
anything.  So if anyone has a recent ruby book, would they consider doing a
short review of it and posting it online somewhere?  Posting to your own
blog would be best so lrug.org can link directly to it, but amazon reviews
are cool too (we just need someone to work out how to link to them
directly.  If you don't have your own blog, or don't want to sully it's
aesthetic with something so mundane as a book review then we can set up a
reviews section and post it directly to lrug.org.

If we do start reviewing books and getting review copies then we'll come up
with some fair way of handing out the review copies, such as a code-off,
best 2 out of 3 at rock-paper-scissors or doing "eeney-meeney-miney-mo".

In other book-related news, I've still got that Addison-Wesley online store
discount voucher, good for 35% off.  If anyone wants a copy just reply to me
and I'll e-mail it over.

Cheers,

Muz

ps... it seems like there should be a word for doing
"eeney-meeney-miney-mo", up where I'm from we called it "doing a plum" but
that drew blank stares and ridicule from my work colleagues.  Is there a
word?