[LRUG] Disrespectful cron

Alex Pounds alex at alexpounds.com
Tue Feb 13 13:18:58 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 04:06:01PM +0000, Andrew Stewart wrote:
> I'm trying to set up cron on a server so that I can clear out old
> sessions, rotate log files, etc.  I've used cron lots of times before
> but for some reason can't get it working now.  Is anyone out there
> good at this sort of thing?

I'm going to ask a couple of questions that might be akin to teaching you
to suck eggs, but better to ask than not...

1. How are you editing your crontab? You're doing crontab -e, right?
2. You look like you've got tabs between your time fields. Have you tried
with spaces? I don't think it matters, but it might. Use spaces between
your time fields and a tab between the time and the command:

45 * * * *      /usr/bin/ls

--
Alex Pounds (Creature)                  .~.         http://www.alexpounds.com/
                                        /V\        http://www.ethicsgirls.com/