[LRUG] REST and Associations

David A. Black dblack at wobblini.net
Wed Feb 28 03:55:08 PST 2007

Hi --

On 2/28/07, Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk> wrote:
> "David A. Black" <dblack at wobblini.net> writes:
>
> > HI --
> >
> > On 2/27/07, Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> The problem I have with the current routing approach is that you have
> >> to know too much to generate them. If I've got things set up so that
> >> (for instance) comments are nested within articles, then I don't want
> >> to have to call 'comment_url comment.article, comment'.
> >
> > You might find my inferred_routes plugin of interest; it's available at
> > http://www.risleydale.net/svn/inferred_routes/tags/0.1.1
> >
> > One fix has been submitted that I haven't applied yet (involving
> > CamelCase model names), but in general the idea is that it enables you
> > to do:
> >
> >   comment_url(comment)
> >
> > and it infers comment.article for the missing first argument.
>
> Will do. You might like to take a peek at
> http://www.bofh.org.uk/articles/2007/01/25/initial-release-of-acts_as_resource,
> which aims to do a similar thing.

Cool.  One problem: I'm getting a blank page for the article view,
though I can see the text when I go to the Ruby category and scroll
down.

Next time I'm in the UK we should all have a Rails/REST gathering.
I'd love to talk further about all this stuff.  I have various
semi-formed thoughts and ideas swirling around in my head....

David