[LRUG] Mentoring Meetups

Stephen Bartholomew steve at curve21.com
Mon Jul 2 04:56:24 PDT 2007

Hey All,

Sorry for the lack of progress on the previous mentioned ideas about
mentoring meetups.  I've had a number emails from some of you who are
interested in group developing a basic web application from concept
to deployment.  I realise that lax group development quite often
leads to the non-completion of said project.  However, as I've
mentioned before, the application itself is merely a way to focus
meetups on a particular subject.

To this end, the structure I would like to propose is:

o An application for LRUG - attendee profiles, a place for code to be
stored etc etc
o Each meetup covers a small iteration and focuses on a particular
subject
o At the end we can also discuss any issues people are having with an
applicataion they're developing (ala-pub after lrug)

We're also defining 'mentor' as 'one who guides' as opposed to 'uber-
coder'.  Everyone will hopefully have something to contribute, rather
than a tutor style approach.

As for the dates of the sessions, there can be no expectation as to
the frequency.  Everyone has other commitments I'm sure so the only
expectation at this stage is that there will be at least one meet.
After that we will have a review and decide the next steps.  It may
prove to be a waste of time.  Or useful.  Who knows?

Next steps:

1. Decide on a date - weekend or evening?
2. Decide on the application
3. Decide the first iteration to cover

So - do post your comments and thoughts.  If nothing else it will be
a good excuse to sit in a cafe and look cool.

Cheers,

Steve