[LRUG] [JOB AD] Ruby Developers Wanted

Tom Ward tom at popdog.net
Mon Jul 9 08:31:45 PDT 2007

We have a number of openings in our ruby development team that might
interest people on the list.  If you're looking for a ruby job
(whether you have ruby experience or not), have a read and get in
touch, or pester one of us at the meeting tonight.

We're small development team working for a large media company. We
develop and maintain a number of projects, usually with ruby on rails
(which we've been using for two and a half years), to fulfil a wide
variety of needs across the business.  These range from on-demand
web-based reporting apps (with complex db schema and a fair bit of
custom SQL), to a website that dynamically shows how a poster would
look in various sites.  We have a lot of freedom within the team to
choose the most appropriate technologies for each job.  As well as
ruby and SQL, other things we've used include java to manipulate
poster images, ruby through WIN32OLE to create Powerpoint charts and
our own Batik server to rasterize SVG.

We're looking for people who want to develop ruby applications, but
who also have other skills to contribute.   Our only pre-requisites
are experience in both object-oriented software development and
working with SQL and relational databases.  Experience writing web
applications or working with dynamic languages are definite pluses, as
are a belief in unit-testing and agile development.  Other than that,
we're looking for enthusiasm and passion, a willingness to take on a
variety of challenges and to work together as part of a close-knit
team.  In return we offer interesting projects, a casual environment
and the chance to work with and learn from experienced ruby
developers.  There will also be significant opportunity to learn new
skills, take on increasing responsibility and progress your career.

James, Murray and I will be at LRUG tonight, so if you want to find
out more please come and have a chat with one of us.  Otherwise feel
free to email me at thomas.ward at aemedia.com with any questions you
might have.

Tom Ward