[LRUG] [Chat] IronRuby

Tom Ward tom at popdog.net
Tue Jul 24 09:40:20 PDT 2007

On 24/07/07, Jonathan Leighton <j at jonathanleighton.com> wrote:
> Whether or not using an exception is better than using a conditional, if
> you use an exception you can define a rescue_action in your
> ApplicationController which allows you to generalise validation handling
> across the entire application. From experience, that's really damn
> useful (and less code etc bla bla bla).

I'm afraid I'm even less of a fan of this pattern!  Three reasons:

- Harder to read/understand
- Easy to screw up (forget the ! on save and you're screwed)
- My innate prejudice against exceptions for control flow

Reducing code is always a grand goal, but I prefer reduced complexity.

Maybe I am going little crazy, our office seems to be getting stupidly
hot.  Perhaps it's best  to agree to disagree.

Tom