[LRUG] looking up uk addresses from postcode

Matthew Westcott matthew.westcott at torchbox.com
Wed Jul 25 08:03:58 PDT 2007

On 25 Jul 2007, at 15:27, Chris Roos wrote:

> Do you need to get to street level?  If not, you might be able to
> use this[1] list of UK outcodes to latitude/longitude.  I used this
> data to create a little website that returns json formatted
> postcode data[2]
>
> [1] http://www.easypeasy.com/guides/article.php?article=64
> [2] http://seagul.co.uk/postcodes/se1 (se1 is just an example)

Unfortunately that data might not be as free as it claims to be, if
such things concern you... I'm informed that that list (or one
looking very similar to it) originated from http://www.jibble.org/
ukpostcodes/ , where it's since been removed after the Post Office
issued a take-down notice.

Fortunately, the prefix data that http://www.npemap.org.uk/ has
collected is now as good as complete (with the exception of Northern
Ireland), if not more complete than the non-free data.

- Matt