[LRUG] IronRuby - beware

Paul Golds paul.golds at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 03:39:18 PDT 2007

On 7/26/07, John Scholes <j3s1c4 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is it really sensible to tangle with this? The objective is it tie you
> in to MS and, more immediately, to get free comment etc. We have seen
> this umpteen times before with MS. Stay away!

Personally I am going to be looking into this but for doing XNA-based
3d visualisation stuff rather than anything even vaguely web-based.
I've been using C# for this for a while but since it's all I've really
used C# for I really would prefer to switch over to a language I
intend to use for other purposes.

Shall wait until someone on one of the XNA forums breaks that
particular ground though, trying to get a pre-alpha of an MS product
to talk to a strange set of libraries for another .net language
doesn't sound like my idea of a fun evening.

The fact MS are trying to make their own 'dialect' of Ruby is
concerning though, although if they do as they say and release it
under their MPL (Microsoft Permissive License, not  to be
intentionally confused with the Mozilla Public License at all.. oh
no..) then it's possible that if they have actually managed to make
any improvements then they could be ported back into the main Ruby
version at some point.  Not sure there isn't any legal catches inside
the license though (..such as what happens if the licence is revoked?)
so that's said with some trepidation.

One minor correction to the article too- this will almost certainly be
running on the Mono implemention of the .net stack outside of the
Silverlight-like browser framework so will run on non-MS environments,
whether you'd want to or not is debatable.

Paul