[LRUG] Monday Night: Code Katas [please read]

Tom Armitage tom at infovore.org
Sun Jun 10 14:41:38 PDT 2007

Hello all!

This has turned out a bit last minute. Apologies, for various reasons.

Tomorrow night we're going to be practicing two code katas as a
group. I have no idea if this will work out, but I think it's worth a
shot. One of them involves writing no code, and is a discussion of
modelling and OO. The other will involve coding two simple scripts.

The goal of these exercises - as katas - is _not_ to get the right
answer as fast as possible. They're not meant to be too much of a
challenge. They're more useful as a form of lightweight exercise, to
stretch the mind whilst doing things which are comfortable and familiar.

I'm going to suggest we do these in small groups - groups of four
would be ideal - so that we can spread ability (but not put experts
in with total beginners), generate some discussion, and make enough
headway on the exercises.

So: if people want to team up with other LRUGers, I suggest arranging
it via this mailing list. If you want to work with someone else, but
don't know any LRUGers, it's a good time to wave hello, and proffer a
rough guide to your abilities (so people grouping with you know).
We'll have Wifi, so the Pickaxe will be to hand - you won't need
anything outside the standard libraries, though.

Also: it would be helpful if people who might have laptops there
(which is a high proportion, I'd guess) could make themselves known -
we only need one laptop per group (you can take it in turns with the
keyboard) - but I don't want anyone to miss out.

And finally: could anyone who's going to have a laptop please
download these two files:

http://tomarmitage.com/tmp/weather.dat
http://tomarmitage.com/tmp/football.dat

you're going to need them. I'll have copies with me if people forget,
but being prepared is a good plan.

So: does this all sound OK to people? Raise your hand if you've got
any questions. And then let's cross our fingers for tomorrow night...

t.

---
Tom Armitage
tom at infovore.org