[LRUG] mod_ruby question

Graham Seaman graham at theseamans.net
Fri Mar 9 06:46:44 PST 2007

Matthew Westcott wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2007, at 14:08, Graham Seaman wrote:
>
>> Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>>

>>> I believe that's actually incorrect... HEAD should replicate a GET
>>> request *exactly*, including the COntent-Length for the non-existent
>>> content.
>>>
>>>    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.4
>>>

>> Thanks; of course, you're right - and when I looked a GET isn't
>> returning the content-length either.
>>

> As far as I'm aware, it's entirely standard practice (and permitted
> by the HTTP spec) to omit the content-length header on dynamic pages,
> on both HEADs and GETs. Going back to the original question - what
> oddities are you seeing with Googlebot / Yahoo that lead you to
> suspect you need a content-length?

Repeated 'HEAD' requests on the index page (several a day over about a
week since I submitted the site), never followed by a GET or any attempt
to spider. In the case of yahoo  this has ended  up with  slurp
apparently just giving up and going away; with google I  later added a
site-map,  and google is now reading the  files from the site map, but I
suspect it might not have done without it.

Of course I don't know if it's lack of info in the headers that is
causing this, it may just be current behaviour (eg. check the site is in
continuous existence for a few weeks before attempting to index), but it
seemed like a possible guess. It's been several years since I last tried
to get a site indexed and I'm sure indexer behaviour has changed a lot
in the meantime.  However, having got this far just for my own
satisfaction I would prefer to see a more complete set of headers
returned, or at least be sure I knew how to do it if needed.

The site is http://www.abruzzocasa.eu/penne if you can see anything odd

Cheers
Graham