[LRUG] May Meeting - Specifics

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Thu May 3 04:27:41 PDT 2007

On 1 May 2007, at 09:51, Murray Steele wrote:
> It's become obvious that the idea of a beginners session is a good
> one, but also, a tad unspecific as everyone has different needs,
> and hence a little difficult to stage. [...] I hope this lack of a
> proper session isn't too disappointing to any beginners.

I hope this will be taken as polite and pragmatic (which is the
intention) rather than rude and inconsiderate (which isn't), but:
there seem to be at least a few people who have little or no Ruby
experience at all, and I'm not convinced that mentoring is a good use
of either party's time in those cases.

Mentoring is best applied when there's some grit in the oyster, so to
speak: "I pretty much know what I'm doing, but I came up against this
weird problem/situation/feeling the other day, so can you give me the
benefit of your experience?"

There are already plenty of really, really good Ruby-beginner
resources freely available on the web, and increasingly there are
some Rails ones too, although those tend to still be somewhat
fragmented and cast to the four corners of the blogosphere. In many
cases these tutorials are the distilled result of careful thinking
and editing on the part of their authors, and are therefore likely to
hit home much more rapidly and effectively than someone trying to
sketch out the syntax of blocks on the back of a fag packet down the
pub.

Therefore would it be useful to compile a list of *recommended* Ruby/
Rails-newbie resources, so that people can at least break the ice of
their total unfamiliarity with the language/framework and so put
themselves in the best position to actively pick the brains of their
mentors?

http://www.ruby-lang.org/ is of course a good place to start,
although potentially a little overwhelming due to the sheer number of
largely undifferentiated links on the 'books' and 'documentation' pages.

That being said, if I could communicate a single URL to every Ruby
beginner in the world, it would be http://tryruby.hobix.com/, where
you can type away merrily into a browser-based Ruby interpreter while
the page makes friendly suggestions about what to try next. Of course
any Windows-using Ruby newbies would probably get similar value out
of http://hacketyhack.net/ but I haven't been able to try that in the
absence of an OS X version.

Any other good ones? (Note: personally I wouldn't want to inflict the
first edition of the Pickaxe on anyone.)

Cheers,
-Tom