[LRUG] Fwd: BOF sessions wih LRUG at No Fluff Just Stuff eXchange, London

James Adam james.adam at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:41:49 PDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Martin Sadler <mtsbtt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I know there was a Rails track at QCon that was held a while back. For those
> who attended
> what was the general consensus from Java developers on Ruby?

My impression of the QCon audience was that it was comprised of people
who just wanted to know a bit more about Ruby, to see what all the
fuss was about.

> My first thought is to have a panel of recent Java to Ruby converts backed
> up by some
> more experienced Rubyists. We could then do a series of lightening talks
> complimented
> with questions from the audience to the panel.

This sounds like a good format to me. For the lightning talks, it
shouldn't be hard to do any of the following in 5 minutes:

* Your First Rails App
* The Joy of Rake
* Here's the Skinny about RubyGems, Y'all
* "Metaprogramming Voodoo"

.... basically any of these could be quick demos to be used as
starting points for questions and discussion.

--
* J *
  ~