[LRUG] The OpenID talk

James Adam james.adam at gmail.com
Thu May 3 03:47:52 PDT 2007

I've been thinking about the focus of the OpenID talk too, and while
I'm definitely interested in the generalities, there's probably a good
amount of material on the web already that can get you up to speed
(much of it coming from boy genius Simon Willlison):

Overview, via the Guardian so you know it's going to be soft and
cuddly: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2007/03/28/openid_a_primer_from_simon_willison.html

Another overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

If you'd like to see it in action from an end user point of view:
http://simonwillison.net/2006/openid-screencast/

Delegating (or, "but I don't want a livejournal ID", or "what if I
want to change my OpenID"):
http://simonwillison.net/2006/Dec/19/openid/

I suppose I'm more interested in possibilities too. Someone mentioned
using it for white-listing against spam? That would be awesome, since
the version of Mephisto that I currently use seems to defend against
spam with the veracity of a wet flannel.

James

On 5/3/07, Stephen Bartholomew <steve at curve21.com> wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about the general stuff - how it works,
> possibilities etc.  A brief introduction to implementation would be
> cool, but there is plenty of information on the net about that
> already.  It'd be great to walk away inspired to get back and start
> playing with it!
>
> Steve
>

> On 3 May 2007, at 11:02, Dan Webb wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Glad to hear there's some interest in the OpenID talk....I was just
> > wondering...what do you all want to hear about most?
> >
> > The implementation in a Rails project?  The openid gem in general?  or
> > more general stuff about what it is, how it works and the
> > possibilities that are arising from it?
> >
> > I was planning to do a little bit of all of that but if there's an
> > area you want to focus on then shout up.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Dan Webb
> > http://www.danwebb.net