[LRUG] May Meeting - Specifics

David Townsend toonsend at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:17:34 PDT 2007

Code reviews are invaluable, particularly when it's code from an
inexperienced practioner.  I think code reviews can turn into arguments over
symantics when you have good coders discussing good code.

As for a regular mentor to help with problems, sounds more like a help
desk.  Sadly most problems you face day to day tend to one shot issues.  You
need to learn the tools to be able to solve them, whether it's through your
own debug coding, as my professors used to say to any query

"Do you use print statements?"

or to be able to sift google results to find the answer or when all else
fails I hit the ROR irc channel.  If people are willing to provide this
help, then that's fantastic, but I question it's ability to improve coding
ability.  Just my four penneth

David Townsend