[LRUG] another beginner.. ruby but not rails

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Fri May 4 02:06:46 PDT 2007

On 3 May 2007, at 18:51, graham wrote:

> How do people feel about this? Is it a case of 'if you want to use
> ruby
> on the web you're wasting your energy not using Rails'? Or do I just
> need to refine my google skills? or just bring some code to the next
> ruby meet ;-) ?

I'd recommend using Rails exclusively for Ruby on the web, but learn
some
pure non web Ruby before moving to Rails. The Ruby Quiz[1] is quite good
for standalone ruby solutions to coding problems, or you can pick a
scripting
task you might have done in perl and start solving it in Ruby. Make
sure you've
worked through this online book[2], too.

IME a strong non-web Ruby background really helps when it comes to
writing
tidy and expressive Rails code.

Thanks
Chris

[1] http://rubyquiz.com/
[2] http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

--
Chris Parsons
Managing Director

chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
www.edendevelopment.co.uk

0845 0097 094
po box 425, winchester, so23 0wy, uk
Map: http://pininthemap.com/edendevelopment

Tried Pin in the Map? Mark a map location, add text, send to friends.
http://pininthemap.com

This electronic message and all contents contain information from the
sender which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee
(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any copying, disclosure,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If
you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original message and all
copies. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions.