[LRUG] Ruby/Rails based blog system

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Fri May 4 23:11:17 PDT 2007

"Makoto Inoue" <inouemak at googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I see lots of discussion about this month LRUG topic and beginner's session,
> but this is not related to these topics at all. Hope you do not mind.
>
> I am thinking about setting up my own blog using Ruby/Rails based blog
> system, and would like to ask opinions.

As a Typo maintainer I'm a wee bit biased.

> I did a bit of google research and looks Typo and Mephisto are the two
> popular Rails based blog systems. I installed both Typo and Mephisto, and
> Typo (http://trac.typosphere.org/ ) seems to have more features than
> Mephisto (http://mephistoblog.com/), but Typo seems heavier and more
> complex, and I found a blog about how someone converted from Typo to
> Mephisto  (http://blog.codefront.net/2006/9/1/from-typo-to-mephisto). I like
> Typo's dynamic preview functionality(You can see how your HTML looks like as
> you type), but I also like Mephisto's pretty url functionality.

The dynamic preview really hammers the back end though; more recent
versions allow you to turn that off.

If by 'pretty URLs' you mean Mephisto's lack of /articles in the URL,
then I have to confess that I'm jealous of that one. At some point I
would like to allow for the option of Mephisto style URLs, but we're
going to have to maintain support for the old style because changing

Typo is complex though; I've said that my goal as a maintainer is to
get the code to a point where I'm not embarrassed by it.

> I've seen some posts about people using Mephisto, so would
> appreciate if I can hear opinions (and also some alternative Rails
> based blog systems you recommend. I tried Radiant and Rubrick CMS,
> but they seem to be too generic for my personal blog use).  I also
> would like to know if typo and Mephisto are matured enough compared
> to other well known blog systems, such as Wordpress and Movable
> type.

I'm not sure Typo is.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>