[LRUG] May Meeting - Specifics

Suw Charman suw.charman at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:42:09 PDT 2007

On 5/3/07, James Adam <james.adam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree completely, and this is basically what I had in mind when I
> suggested it. As a mentor, I'd be looking to help with someone who has
> a fairly good idea of what they want to achieve at any given time (if
> they've got a pet project, even better)
>
> Ideally we'd then discuss the problem face to face every now and
> again, and talk about the smaller day-to-day issues via
> email/IM/IRC/Twitter (I'm kidding, not twitter). We'd both be able to
> see the code, and I'd be able to commit comments and suggestions that
> they'd pick up when they updated (we can use the LRUG SVN repository
> for this, if necessary).
>
> You can certainly find all the answers on the internet, but sometimes
> there's nothing more valuable than a bit of guidance from someone
> who's done something similar. It's the interaction that's important,
> really.

That does sound exactly like what I would need. I have some friends
who know RoR and Ruby, but they travel a lot and I feel guilty
hassling them. Having someone who's actively volunteered to mentor
would firstly make me feel less guilty, and secondly give some
structure to the process, which should then make it much more likely
that I'll succeed.

Suw

AIM: nefibach
IRC: #suwcharman on freenode