[LRUG] BCS talk, Thursday, London, 6.30pm

Richard Tandoh richardtandoh at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 04:12:58 PDT 2007

Thanks LRUGers your help re. this Thursday's talk at
the BCS.  Final details are below.  The event is free
to attend, but registration is required - see below.
Hope to see some of you there.

rt.

---

Thursday 13th September 2007
6.30 - 8.30pm
BCS, First Floor, The Davidson Building, 5 Southampton
Street, London WC2E 7HA.

*** CODE IT: .NET, Java, Flex, Ruby (on Rails) and
Smalltalk ***

Talk organised by the North London Branch (NLB,
http://www.nlondon.bcs.org/) of the British Computer
Society (BCS).

What are the choices when it comes to modern
programming languages?  When is Java a better option
than one of the .NET languages and vice versa?  What
advantages do more modern languages such as Flex and
Ruby on Rails offer?  What frameworks and Open Source
projects are driving the adoption of these languages?
Why are Microsoft, Sun and Adobe all creating variants
of their core languages for creating Rich Internet
Applications (RIAs)?

Come and get an update on the .NET programming
languages, Java, Flex and Ruby (on Rails) that will
address the above and more, from those that are really
in the know.  No, not the vendors, but the members of
User Groups.

Our expert presenters are:
* IAN COOPER
Founder, .NET User Group (DNUG)

* PETER PILGRIM
Founder, Java Web User Group (JAVAWUG)

* CHESTER CHIPPERFIELD
Organiser, London Flex User Group

* CHRIS PARSONS
Member, London Ruby User Group (LRUG)

* BRUCE BADGER
Founder, OpenSkills

The event is FREE to attend, but registration is
required.  To register, please send an email to
bcsnlb at yahoo.co.uk with the following information:
- Full Name
- Job Title
- Organisation