[LRUG] Ruby job at Playlouder

Matthew Willson matthew at playlouder.com
Mon Aug 18 08:34:19 PDT 2008

Dear all,

Hope you don't mind the job plug - perhaps some of you will remember
my talk a while back about a widget-based web framework in Ruby. As it
turns out, things are starting to take off at Playlouder, the music
start-up for which it was developed - and we're looking to hire a
third developer.

This isn't quite your vanilla Rails development job - we're pushing
Ruby in some interesting directions. But it should offer some great
opportunities for talented Ruby sorts to play with music services,
messaging and rich web application development, and help scale them
within ISP networks.

Full detail follows for those interested - feel free to email me with
any questions, especially if you're interested how we're using Ruby :)

-Matt

Music Service Developer

Playlouder MSP has been working with ISPs and the music industry to
develop both an innovative business model for music consumption, and
innovative user experiences around music and communication to
complement ISPs’ offerings.

As a key addition to our small but growing development team, you will
be critical in helping to refine, scale and roll out our application
and service to white-label ISP clients.

Key requirements

     * Background in computer science, mathematics, software
engineering or similar (degree or equivalent experience)
     * A solid technical all-rounder with software development
experience on sizeable projects

The specifics

Our work involves all of the following, and you’ll be tackling
problems involving many of them:

     * Dynamic languages (experience with Ruby, on which our current
implementation is based, would be particularly desirable)
     * Rich web application development with a large Javascript-based
client-side portion
     * A modular, widget-based user interface framework for the above
     * Databases (MySQL at present), data modeling and ORM tools
     * Unix-based deployment environments
     * Large volumes of media, media metadata and usage statistics
     * Web services APIs, and large-scale integration work
     * Server push technologies, and scaling applications with a live
messaging component
     * Common agile software development tools, processes and
techniques - source control, bug tracking, testing etc
     * A warehouse full of music geeks :)

Some other things which you might get to play with:

     * Other languages - Java, Python, C, possibly Erlang (see
‘messaging’ above), …
     * Messaging technologies like AMQP, ActiveMQ, XMPP
     * Music technology R&D projects
     * Lots more in a fast-growing company

In return we can offer challenging problems in an interesting domain,
competitive pay, and a great work environment for music fans in our E2
warehouse!

Enquiries to matthew at playlouder.com

Company site: http://mediaserviceprovider.com/