[LRUG] ExtJS

Paul Doerwald paul at liquidmedia.ca
Wed Aug 20 04:42:05 PDT 2008

On 20-Aug-08, at 6:18 AM, Simon Tokumine wrote:

> We are Rails users using jQuery, and are considering using ExtJS for
> parts of our backend. Before we start does anyone on LRUG have any
> success/horror stories with ExtJS and rails? Any easy gotchas?

I used the trees system on a project. It took me a while to figure it
out. The documentation isn't amazing (but it could also be that I was
in the process of learning JS) but once I figured it out, the power of
ExtJS is amazing. My biggest complaints are:

• By default it looks like Windows
• It's a giant download for users

If you use a lot of ExtJS in your project (i.e. you're building
something very GUI-ish) then it's a great addition and probably worth
the time to modernize the design. In my case where I only used one
component, I would have done better to go with something more focused.

Paul.