[LRUG] ExtJS

Damian Janowski damian.janowski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 05:21:57 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Simon Tokumine <simon at japancentre.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We are Rails users using jQuery, and are considering using ExtJS for parts
> of our backend. Before we start does anyone on LRUG have any success/horror
> stories with ExtJS and rails? Any easy gotchas?

Adding to what Paul and Dan say -- I also dislike the Windows XP look
that you get (even if your users are on another OS). But mainly, I
think the web is offering much more flexible and usable UIs. And
people are interacting with websites probably more than with desktop
applications. So building a web app on a Windows- (or desktop-)
looking platform doesn't seem to me like the way to go.

However, there is the case for companies that are not interested in
innovation -- "we currently have a desktop app and want to make it an
intranet. Just replicate our desktop app's look and feel."

Oh, and I agree I documentation is far from abundant.