[LRUG] Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Silver

Simon Tokumine simon at japancentre.com
Tue Aug 12 10:34:06 PDT 2008

Yes, I think I would having sat it -  it would give me confidence in their
ability to use the tools, and would perhaps help to separate those who are
blagging it from legit Ruby developers. I suppose it would also help someone
get into a Ruby position if their current Job and CV didn't reflect their
Ruby skills for whatever reason - some people don't blog or help maintain OS
projects for time constraint reasons, but are really good engineers. It
would help them I think.

Though the test contents were not 'hard" engineering questions or puzzles,
on reflection it was quite broad in its scope. Perhaps because I've been
using Ruby for a couple of years, Ruby oddities which would otherwise be
gotchas just came naturally. Also, as the pass score is 75% (50 questions),
you do have to actually know the Ruby syntax and where Ruby is different
from other languages (to avoid the curve ball questions) to pass.

A modern Rails (or whatever Ruby framework) job requires many other skills
which this test doesn't test for, however it is defiantly proof of exposure
and understanding of the basic tool set.

Si