[LRUG] test-driven development and rails question

Dafydd Rees daf at dafydd.net
Thu Feb 28 07:24:33 PST 2008

Hello,

I've done a lot of test-driven development in Java (and a bit in a few
other languages too), but I find the setup in rails a bit confusing.

I want to ask people who've gotten used to the rails way of doing things:

* When rails says "unit tests" does it really mean "unit tests for models"?
* .. and does rails see functional testing as "testing one or more of
the controllers together"?

It looks that way to me (although I've seen the asserts for testing
template population in functional tests).

What if a controller gets complex enough for me to extract a few classes
out of it. It doesn't look like rails considers supporting those classes
with unit tests.

Am I the only one thinking this?

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Cheers,