[LRUG] Rails developers needed

Paul Doerwald paul at liquidmedia.ca
Wed Feb 20 07:51:09 PST 2008

On 20-Feb-08, at 9:46 AM, David Salgado wrote:

> Actually, I find it quite helpful. It makes it really quick and easy
> to identify the jobs in which I'm definitely not interested. Anyone
> who thinks putting rockstar/ninja in a job ad is almost certainly not
> someone I want to spend >40 hours/week with!

heh. Very true.

> Also, when was the last time you saw a vacancy for a mediocre
> developer? Just curious.

I would actually be thrilled to work with people that are simply good.
Not great — who needs the ego? — but people who are experienced,
considerate, hardworking... but none of that makes a 'sexy' job ad,
and no employer wants to say they look for middle-of-the-road people.

... and don't get me started on ageism in the industry ... I'm still
in my early 30's so I'm on the "ok" side of that, but I really feel
for the experienced 40+ developers who are sidelined because employers
only want "ninjas" and "rockstars". One day when I'm an employer......

Paul.