[LRUG] "The Ruby Programming Language" book by Matz

Tom Armitage tom at infovore.org
Sun Feb 24 01:05:32 PST 2008

On 23 Feb 2008, at 19:31, Dafydd Rees wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody here find the prag prog ruby book
> ("Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide") far too long?
>
> I'm wondering if there's really any point filling up half the book
> with
> API that's already available on-line?

So: as far as I know, when the first edition came out, much of that
wasn't available online. It marks the first book in English about
Ruby, and as such, the first decent translation of the API docs,
which must have been rolled back into the RDoc. Yes, it's not as
valuable now... but there are reasons behind it being seemingly
overlong...